Lately, I’ve been toying around with different LED strips for my projects. I’ve had the chance to use a variety of LED strips (both RGB, and single colour types). They come in many flavours – water proof, 3m-backed, silcone encased, sealed, non-sealed, exposed etc. All have their advantages / disadvantages.
In this case, I am reviewing the warm white LED strip from Optek. The unit came well packaged from Newark. Typically when you get strips like this, they come of a larger LED strip roll (usually 5 meters), so the product often looks like it was cut with a set of scissors – no big deal.
Features / Specs:
- Part #OVQ12S30WW7
- LED STRIP, 30 LED, WARM WHITE
- LED Module Type: Board + LED
- LED Color: Warm White
- CCT: 3300K
- Luminous Flux @ Test: 60lm
- Power Module Configuration: Strip
- Supply Voltage: 12V
- Power Rating: 1.6W
- RoHS Compliant: Yes
- Light colour is as specified – warm white. This strip would serve well in locations where you want to cast a warm natural light (eg under kitchen cabinets).
- Although, these are not as bright as their 5050 SMD counterparts, they are softer on the eyes.
- Comes with 3M tape on the back. I have not tried to secure the strip to anything since I haven’t decided a use for it yet. I’m sure it’ll find its way in my car, or my workbench… somewhere…
- The unit is less than 3mm high x 8mm wide, so they can be tucked away pretty much anywhere.
- Price is very reasonable.
The Not So Good:
- These LEDs are not bright. Don’t expect to use these where you are looking to illuminate objects from a distance. Only a few feet max.
- They are not waterproof. Depending on your situation, this could make or break this buy.
If you are looking for a LED strip that can be stuck on pretty much any surface, that casts a nice warm glow and has a small footprint (width and height), this is a nice choice. If you are looking to mount these in an environment that has to look clean, don’t forget that you will likely have to create some sort of carrier or barrier for these (so viewers won’t see the raw LEDs and the copper strip).